Yes, Keto worked for me, and it will work for anyone willing to go the distance!
Lets understand Ketogenic diet by preparing a sample keto diet chart.
I have to consume 1800 calories in a day, So how do I distribute it? What is keto about it? A quick Google result will tell you various ratios of ketogenic diet. But the one I followed is as the one in the image above.
My break down was 5% calories from carbs, 35% calories from proteins and 60% calories from fats. What does that mean? That means the breakdown of 1800 cals is as follows.
Carbohydrates : 5% (1800) = 90 calories = 90/4 = 22.5 gms of Carbs
Proteins : 35%(1800) = 630 calories = 630/4 = 157.5 gms of Proteins
Fats : 60%(1800) = 1080 cals = 1080/9 = 120 gms of Fats
( 1 gm Carb = 4 cals, 1 gm Fat = 9 cals & 1 gm Protein = 4 cals ).
So, I have to eat the above calculated amount of carbs, fats & proteins to follow a keto diet of 1800 cals. (pretty Simple… isn’t it!)
So, What’s so special about KETO ? “Why does keto work?“.
For that we must understand that our diets are primarily carbohydrate based. If I specifically write about Indian Diet, then it lacks protein a big time and it is full of carbs. For example, Breakfast: Roti + sabji, Lunch: rice, dal, sabji , Dinner : roti + sabji (that’s a general food pattern which I had seen in my house since childhood). Now a days people are eating cereals, oats, muesli etc which are again carb heavy foods. When I assessed my Indian diet , I was shocked. I was hardly consuming 50gms of protein per day, and I was consuming 250+ gms of carbs everyday. On top of that, the major problem was: nobody was ready to understand in my family or friends that this type of diet was doing more bad than good (because with their preconceived notions that this diet is good, they were not ready to change, and I faced huge resistance when I said I don’t want to eat roti and rice, and I want to eat something else).
When we follow a Keto diet, the body doesn’t get its usual carbohydrates which it wants to use as primary source of fuel. The body is forced to burn fat as the only source available in body is fat ( in the absence of Carbs). And when the body does this, i.e burn fats, we call the body to be in Ketosis. That is the body is producing ketones. At this time the body is a fat burning machine, and we end up burning Fats (losing fats) by eating Fats(Keto diet). (Not going into technical details right now)
If you are considering following a keto diet, the I must share with you the dos and don’ts of keto and what to expect in the coming weeks.
Dos and Don’ts
- Supplements are okay but nothing beats real foods.
- Don’t think eating so much fat will make you fat (believe in the process)
- The idea is to remain in Ketosis for maximum period of time (i.e. the fat burning zone), so dont kick the body out of ketosis , just hold your horses and don’t binge eat or drink, else all the hard work will be lost.
- No sugar, It’s poison, Literally.
- Keep the fiber intake up, as keto-diet is low on fibers.
- Ensure that you are taking multi-vitamins & omega-3 everyday because keto is a restrictive diet.
- The ratio of 5:35:60 is not sacrosanct , and it depends on body to body, but its a good starting point to get the body into ketosis asap. Once into ketosis, you can experiment with the ratio like 10:30:60 etc, just stay in ketosis.
How to know whether you are in ketosis or not?
The best way to know this is
- Keto strips : Available over the medical counter, you can also order it online. These urine strips indicate whether you are in ketosis or not. Pretty simple and straightforward to use.
- Urine test: You can get your urine tested for ketones.
- Smelly urine: The ketones loaded urine smells
- Ketone smell from Mouth : You can feel that fruity ketonish smell from your mouth.
What to expect in coming weeks of Ketogenic Diet if you are a beginner.
- Week 1 will be tough, your body will go in withdrawal mode, as you are super low on carbs.
- You feel low on energy because the body still hasn’t fully changed the fuel mode from carbs to fats.
- You might feel dizzy and very low on energy. A very good reason to skip that workout… but don’t.
- Week 2, The body has (or about to enter)entered ketosis .
- You feel a sudden surge in energy
- Couple of days back you were starving, and now you aren’t feeling hungry.
- You feel more energetic.
- Keto flu is gone and with that body has also lost some weight (water weight).
- week 3-12: Follow the diet and workout religiously to get the best results.
Stay Motivated Folks m/
Inbox me for any query.